Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What? There's crying in soccer?

Ok, so I have to confess that this morning, sitting all by my lonesome in my parents' family room, I shed a few tears of joy and jumped around like a maniac for the U.S. soccer team who, after 91 minutes of no score, finally got a well-deserved break and landed a goal, setting them at the number one position in their group and onto the segunda ronda!!!



I don't know where this soccer fanaticism has even come from. Well, I guess it all started with playing soccer with the Argentinians in South Beach, followed by listening to my Spanish host dad yell at the TV every night in Madrid, followed by teaching a whole unit on it this year...And to cap it off, sitting with all of the Latino custodians from my "former" school (Carey Jr. High) yesterday and shooting the breeze with them for over an hour about why it was pointless to root for any European team when an "American" team was playing in a World Cup match.

I've asked several people today about the game, and no one yet has even had a clue. This is only the first time the US has won in its group since 1930!! The World Cup is only the most watched sporting event in the world!!!...Yet on my parents' TV the only channel that carries it is Univision, the Spanish channel.

Next game for the US is this Friday at 12:30pm.

2 comments:

Birches said...

Don't worry Becca, there were some Birches down South who were also squealing with joy.

Eli and Steph said...

My most memorable World Cup experience was 4 years ago in San Carlos, Mexico. Me and a bunch of kids from a local orphanage were huddled around a tv in a sweltering little room (no AC) watching Mexico kick butt! I can't remember what team they were playing during those hours that we watched... the kids chose to watch the game and sweat to death rather than play in the ocean that was just out the door and about 15 yards away. That's what makes futbol so special... and yet most of the U.S. is totally oblivious to it!