Sunday, September 16, 2012

Welcome to Grad School

Yes, it has been almost 9 months since my last post.  Not much to talk about I guess...

But since I am now far away from all that is familiar, the desire to reach out has resurfaced.

So I have been here in Utah for a few weeks, and the transition has been very smooth.  I keep thinking how great it is not to be 19 and brand new at BYU.  Everything is familiar, and I am a lot wiser and calmer than I used to be.  I am really enjoying Provo, and I have had a great time.  So much so, that I´m getting over the worst cold I´ve had in years (from lack of sleep I suppose)

I am really enjoying my program.  I have 3 graduate level courses, and I´m teaching two undergraduate Spanish courses at the University.  My hardest class is the History of Spanish, which has required some translation of medieval Spanish, a true beast of a task.  Imagine the game MadLibs but in Spanish.  Teaching so far has been a breeze compared to high school (way less planning, no parental discourse, no classroom behavior problems).  My students here at BYU are super wholesome and brilliant, which is showing me a whole different perspective of teaching.    Here´s my official student instructor page on the BYU website: http://spanport.byu.edu/directory/rlb265/

I get to share an office with the other 20 some students in my program, and we are becoming good friends.  About half of us are native Spanish speakers, which adds a great element to my own personal experience.  I am currently speaking Spanish about 90% of my day at school, which is estupendo!  Here´s a picture of Lizzie (from UT), Tomás (from México) and I in between classes on campus during the Medieval Fair:


I am also attending a bilingual Spanish-English young single adult ward (congregation) here.  I was just assigned to be a Spanish Sunday School, which should be a trip.  My roommates, who do not speak Spanish :)  are also great.  Cass and Meggan are both from really small towns in UT, and they give me a good English break when I need it.

Being a student again is a transition, but I still love it.  I´m interested to see what I end up doing after this two year stint....

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

That's crazy that your in Provo again. I love that town. Good luck with school it sounds like your going to have a great experience.

Tessa said...

I miss you! Have lots of fun. Oh yeah, and eat at Nicolitalias, Zupas, Bombay House, and Magleby's for me. :)

Kelli Burton said...

yes, teaching adults is wonderful!

glad you're safe and sound in fabulous provo.

Rachel said...

Welcome back to Utah! Congratulations on the new grad program (though it's not completely new). I just finished grad school last month and it feels like a breath of fresh air on the other end. Glad to hear you're surrounded by great people - take very good care of yourself.